Saturday, November 14, 2015

Paris

So, having my big sale come out right after the horrific events in Paris feels crass, at best. (It was all set in motion, of course, long before those events.) I feel a bit weird about promoting books in the face of all that pain.

Truthfully, all I can think of to say about Paris is: People of Paris and France, my thoughts and prayers are with you. We’re all in this together, as you were with us after 9/11. 

Perhaps I’ll just point you to this piece, which offers some good thoughts about constructive ways not to respond to tragedies like this. Please read it.

And now that I think about it, maybe I shouldn’t feel too bad about offering redemptive entertainment in the face of real-life hatred.



Labels:

2 Comments:

At 1:44 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Dear Jeffrey,
Your writing brought me back to Science Fiction after a very long hiatus. I want to personally thank you for writing such entertaining books. I grew up on SF in the 60s but drifted away from it in the 70s, last reading any in the 80s with Asimov's Foundation Series, which I loved.

One day I bought your Eternity's End in a thrift store and was amazed at how much I enjoyed it. (Sorry you did not get anything from that sale). Since then I have read some of the other books you have written, as well as some of the other authors you recommend on your web site. I am extremely grateful to now be reading comtemporary SF which incorporates many of the new technologies.

It is unusual to me to write a fan letter and I just created a blogger account in order to do so, which I otherwise don't expect to have much use for. But I think that a little positive feedback always helps.

Thanks for writing such entertaining books! We do need them in these troubling times.

Sue Rockwell

 
At 7:10 PM, Blogger Jeffrey A. Carver said...

Sue, thank you so much for your encouraging message! I am delighted to hear that you've enjoyed my books, and you are so right about positive feedback. I appreciate your taking the time and trouble to post. Really.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home